Once upon a time….simply obtaining a bachelor’s degree was enough to be sure that you could enter the job market in your respective field and make a solid income. In today’s economy however, there are many factors that contribute to your chances of landing a job after graduation. One of the biggest factors to consider is the field in which you are entering. While it is wise to choose a major that sparks your interests, it is also practical to pursue a degree that will lead to opportunities to have a career that is in high demand. To get started, here are some of the top careers that are in demand for recent college graduates.
- Public Relations Specialist: If you have a knack for communicating and love to shine a positive light on every situation, PR may be the field for you. A great thing about this field is the very high expected growth rate, which is 23% by 2020.
- Elementary School Teacher: Teachers have an advantage of stability that many occupations lack which makes up for the average salary of $40,434; the lowest on this list. However, the projected growth rate is relatively high at 18% by 2020.
- Accountant: If you’re a lover of numbers and good at math, you’ll be glad to hear that accountants’ average salary has increased by $10,000 in the last three years. Combine this with a projected 16% job growth rate and it’s clear to see why this field is a good choice for recent college grads.
- Market Research Analyst: If you happen to be a number lover who also has strong communication skills, marketing could be your calling. With a projected growth rate of a whopping 41%, marketing is easily one of the best choices for recent college graduates. The average salary is $67,380.
- Software Developer: Do you have strong programming and coding skills? If so, you’ll be happy to know that software developer rings in at number one on our list of best careers for recent grads. With a projected growth rate of 32% by 2020 and an average annual salary of $102,550, pursuing a career as a software developer is a smart move.