Homesickness is very common among college freshmen. For many first year college students it is the first time living away from their families, so missing home is completely natural and nothing to be ashamed of! Here are a few helpful tips for when you find yourself feeling a homesick!
1. Before you move in, make sure to pack something personal that makes you feel more connected to home. An old stuffed animal, blanket, or an old t-shirt/sweatshirt are all good options. Having something in your room that makes you feel at home is really comforting.
2. Find one day a week that works for you and your family for Skype. Talking on the phone is great, but actually getting to see each other while you’re talking makes a big difference! You can do the same thing with your friends!
3. Pack your favorite books and DVDs. When you start to get a little homesick, getting lost in your favorite book or movie can be really comforting. Watching your favorite TV show on Netflix is also really helpful. Weirdly enough, watching or reading something that makes you nostalgic can actually make you feel better when you start to miss home!
4. Comfort food can also do wonders for homesickness. When you’re missing home, treat yourself to some ice cream, cookies, mac and cheese, or whatever you love! Eating something that makes you happy can help you get through it!
5. Get a small plastic storage box and create a First Aid Kit with all the essentials as well as stocking up on any medication that you typically take when you get sick; things like cold medicine, stuff for nausea, and pain relievers/fever reducers like Tylenol. When you start to feel a little under the weather, it can make you feel really homesick, so it’s good to be prepared. The first time you get sick away from home is always the hardest; you’ll really want someone to take care of you, so already having what you need will make things easier!